SparkMacon is a community innovation space equipped with the tools, equipment, and grass-roots education required to convert your idea into a reality. Think of us as a gym membership to exercise your creativity, hands and brain. We aspire to blend the best of art and technology.
We aspire to build an authentic community of makers and business leaders. To help create a thriving culture of innovation in Middle Georgia, we believe that our community should consider adopting the following values.
- Be optimistic
- Embrace Ambiguity
- Learn from failure
- Make others successful
- Take ownership: individual ownership supports collective responsibility.
- Talk Less, Do More
- Be respectful and act with integrity
Most of these value propositions have been adapted from Ideo, a leading innovation consulting firm.
We were very excited to open the SparkMacon MakerSpace doors to our community. After consultation with other MakerSpaces in the Georgia area, we were strongly advised to seek community feedback on tools and materials that we should consider purchasing for the space. Likewise, our focus group provided suggestions on education programs they would like to see in SparkMacon.
— Georgia Pallet (@GeorgiaPallet) September 4, 2014
Thank you again to Molly and Andrew from Georgia Pallet for sharing their pictures from the event!
For everyone who attended our first community meeting on Sept 4th, please know that we’re very thankful for your time, feedback and influence. We have integrated and organized the focus group data and online survey data. This data will be influencing our first round of equipment purchases and projects for our MakerSpace. In the interests of transparency, we wanted to share this data with you, our community! We have detailed all of the community feedback data at the conclusion of this post.
How can the community help in building the Maker Space?
Please consider volunteering to help build and assemble the MakerSpace. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or on our email list. We also appreciate you sharing this vision for SparkMacon with your friends and family. We will be posting volunteer opportunities soon.
- First Cleanup day: This day will be the general cleaning day to get the space ready to pain.
- Painting day: This day will focus on paining the stairs and walls of the space.
- Workbench building.
- Floor Finishing and Repair.
- Partition Build: Once the space is “ready” we will be putting up partitions to separate the dirty shop from the rest of the space. This will also serve to provide a storage space for supplies.
Can the community or my business sponsor equipment?
Yes. We’re very thankful for any contributions from the community. If your business is interested in sponsoring equipment or classes for the community space, please let us know. Please direct your messages to firstname.lastname@example.org .
How do I sign up for membership? How do I contribute to the sustainment of SparkMacon?
Part of receiving the full amount from our initial seed grant from the Georgia Technology Authority (GTA) requires us to be able to show community support through a crowd funding campaign.
We also know that without your financial support this project will be short lived. We need members and community support from the start to succeed and that is where you come in. With your support we hope to provide a home for the next generation of inventors and creators, support creative hobbies, and provide the resources for those individuals who are ready to create now.
While the GTA grant will provide for many of the initial tools and resources the space will need, there are many that it won’t. Funds from this campaign will go toward expanding our offering to address more needs that the community has outlined in our initial research.
We hope we have provided perks at all levels for all people no matter their interest. But some of the cool ones are discounted members, workshop attendance, T-Shirts, and invitations to our grand opening and Donor dinner. Not to mention inclusion on our donor walls inside the space.
Thank You MaconMakers for all of your support and enthusiasm for this community venture. With your help and our community collaboration, we know that we will be helping Macon citizens succeed in their businesses, create job opportunities, be more creative and innovative.
Projects and Events Requested by Community
- Young Makers Program
- Support Local Robotics Team
- Community Message Board
- Design Mentor
- Student Organizations
- Makers Mixers
- Partner with University Community Service Organizations. Create interesting service learning opportunities for students.
Technology Equipment Requested by Community
- Legos / Lego WeDo /Space for young makers to build
- Digital Fabrication Equipment
- 3-D printer(8 mentions)
- 3D Scanner(4 mentions)
- Laser Cutter(3 mentions)
- CNC Machine(2 mentions)
- 3D modeling workstation
- Soldering tools/welding(4 mentions)
- Oscilloscope(2 mentions)
- Raspberry Pi’s
- Spectrum Analyzer
- Frequency Counter
- Galileo board’s
- Logic Analysis Tools
- Electronic parts inventory
- Printed circuit board making tools
- Music Lab/Audio Booth/Recording Studio(7 mentions)
- Green Screen(2 mentions)
- Video Presentation Equipment(2 mentions)
- 3D Motion Capture Device
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Computer Stations
Artisan/Craft Equipment Requested by Community
- Photography Studio/Dark Room(3 mentions)
- Metal/Clay Kiln(3 mentions)
- Pottery wheel(2 mentions)
- Drill Press(2 mentions)
- Jewelry tools(2 mentions)
- Floor Loom(2 mentions)
- Air Brush
- Art Area
- Art supplies & tools for conventional media artists
- Band Saw
- Belt Sander
- Dishing Hammer & Bowl
- Dress Forms
- Embroidery Machine
- Hammers for Blacksmithing
- Industrial Sewing Machine
- Magnetized Picker Upper
- Mini Forge
- Paint Booth
- Shop Vacs
- Spinning Wheel
- Spray Paint Gun
- Vacuum Press/Form
- Wood Shop
Education Requested By Community
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Basic Woodworking Tools||7|
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Hands On Metalworking Tools||5|
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Table saw Fundamentals||5|
|artisan/craft||Jewelry I: Introduction to Metalsmithing||4|
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Rough to Smooth — Using the Miter Saw, Band Saw, Jointer & Planer||4|
|artisan/craft||Photography Master Class||3|
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Hot Craft Studio Jewelry Shop||3|
|artisan/craft||Tool Training: Router Table Fundamentals||3|
|artisan/craft||Painting Master Class||2|
|artisan/craft||Sewing and Knitting||1|
|business||Business Consulting for Artists & Makers: Office Hours||7|
|business||Arts Marketing for Artists & Makers: Office Hours||6|
|business||Social Media Marketing||6|
|business||Getting Started with WordPress||4|
|business||Scrum Master Training||1|
|education||Invent To Learn: Bringing Making and Tinkering to the Class Room||5|
|education||Young Makers: Robotics||4|
|education||Young Makers: Game Design||1|
|technology||Introduction to 3D Modeling||13|
|technology||Tool Training: 3D Printer||9|
|technology||Intro to Inkscape for (Laser) Cutting / Laster Cutting||6|
|technology||Circuit Hacking/Circuts 101/Electronic Workshop/Soldering||5|
|technology||Introduction to Arduino||5|
|technology||Introduction to Rasberry Pi||4|
|technology||PC Board Making||1|
Posts From InspiredToEducate.NET
- 10+ Lessons To Help You Grow Your Skills as a Developer from Mercer GDG
- 17 Fun Tools To Teach Kids To Code by @ChrisBetcher
- Benefits of Teaching Kids To Code That No One Is Talking About
- 7 Reasons Why The Makers Movement Is Revolutionary
- How to Build Your Mobile App using HTML
- Maker Camp: Free Virtual Summer Camp For Teens
- 5 reasons to love Khan academy for computer science