I hope your Monday is going well. I’m pretty excited to share my experience in HackForChange this weekend. It was a great weekend of coding to address civic challenges.
What’s the problem?
- 3 Strategies to Break the Cycle of Poverty for Students and Families
What did we build?
I want to say a special thank you to Chris. He’s a very gifted developer, business leader, and maker. While our prototype had some major challenges, he helped me keep a cool head so that we could be ready to demo on Sunday. It was so much fun hacking with him.
Link to prototype: Changella
I would like to improve the model we’ve prototyped. Our model involved four stages.
1) Finding Strengths and Passions.
2) Dream about a positive future for the student.
3) Designing a plan to work toward the dream. (business plan and marketing plan)
4) Doing the plan using validated learning ( see Lean Startup )
We especially want to target “at risk” students who are not inspired to finish high school. We want to give them inspiration, mentorship, resources to help them get to the finish line of high school. We want them to know that they can create their own opportunities. They can create their own jobs.
I would love to hear your feedback. I would like to know what you feel is strong in our prototype and our needs analysis. I know it needs a lot of organization and work before it can hit the road. The core idea that needs feedback is the following: Can a social network to mentor high school student entrepreneurs to dream, design, make, learn, and continuously grow help?
The success of this idea rides on the quality of the mentors. Making the site attractive to teens and marketing it is also important. Access to the technology is also a consideration. (smart phones, computers)
Can we inspire “at risk” students by connecting them with positive social relationships and mentors?
Other posts from InspiredToEducate.NET
- 5 ways to get more results in your teaching environment.
- Want to build team collaboration, communication, and productivity? Make work visible!
- 7 ideas for creating a student centered learning environment by Paul Andersen
- 5 reasons to love Khan academy for computer science
- How to use Minecraft in teaching
- Why is perspective critical to leading and teaching?
- How to build a social networking site for free using Elgg
- Can gaming have a positive impact to students? Answers from GamesForChange.org
- 7 Lessons Learned from Teaching Students to propose an Idea for Kickstarter
- 10 Strategies To Inspire Innovation and Fun In Projects